NIRPC to hold ten public meetings to gather ideas and thoughts on the vision and needs for Northwestern Indiana for the development of the 2050 Plan
The Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission (NIRPC) will hold ten public meetings to listen to region residents, businesses, and stakeholders on their ideas and thoughts on what the vision and needs for 2050 are. NIRPC is currently developing its next long-range plan to 2050. The plan will address the environment, economic development, and transportation. The long-range plan is a core transportation planning document required by the United States Department of Transportation (USDOT) of a Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO). The 2050 Plan will be the approved vision document for the MPO identifying investments and strategies to pursue in the future. The 2050 Plan is expected to be adopted by May 2019.
The public meetings will be held throughout Lake, LaPorte and Porter Counties. All are encouraged to join to discuss the future of Northwestern Indiana. Meeting details are below:
- April 30, 2018 – 5:00pm – Crown Point – Crown Point Community Library – 122 N Main St, Crown Point
- May 1, 2018 – 4:00pm – Michigan City – Michigan City Public Library – 100 E 4th St, Michigan City
- May 2, 2018 – 1:30pm – Merrillville – Merrillville Municipal Complex – 7820 Broadway, Merrillville
- May 3, 2018 – 4:00pm – Westville – Purdue University Northwest – 1401 U.S. 421, Westville
- May 7, 2018 – 5:00pm – East Chicago – East Chicago Public Library – 2401 E Columbus Dr, East Chicago
- May 8, 2018 – 6:00pm – Merrillville – Methodist Southlake Hospital – 8701 Broadway, Merrillville
- May 9, 2018 – 6:00pm – La Porte – State Street Community Church – 209 State St, La Porte
- May 10, 2018 – 6:00pm – Valparaiso – Valparaiso Public Library – 103 Jefferson St, Valparaiso
- May 15, 2018 – 5:00pm – Chesterton – Chesterton Town Hall – 726 Broadway, Chesterton
- May 17, 2018 – 5:30pm – Gary – Steel City Academy – 2650 West 35th Ave, Gary
Comments may be submitted in-person at one of the ten meetings or until May 18, 2018 in the following ways:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 219-763-6060, ext. 160
- United States Postal Service: NIRPC, 6100 Southport Road, Portage, IN 46368
All comments received during this public engagement period will be considered as NIRPC staff crafts a new vision, goals and need statements for the NIRPC commission to consider adopting for the 2050 Plan.
Documents and information will be available for review at the public meetings, as well as NIRPC’s website at nirpc.org. Requests for alternative formats may be directed to Mary Thorne by calling 219-763-6060, ext. 131, or by email at email@example.com. TTY users may use the Relay Indiana service by calling 711 or 800-743-3333.
Last modified: May 9, 2018